STUDY OF THE HYPOGEUM SITE AND PRODUCTION OF VIRTUAL REALITY Hellenistic Necropolis of Neapolis, Napoli (ITALY)
PDF versione italiana
KEYWORDS: Virtual Reality | JRC 3D Reconstructor | 3D Laser Scanner | Photogrammetry | Archeology
«The Hellenistic Necropolis of Naples presents chamber tombs from the Hellenistic period (V-III century BC) characterized by monumental façades dug into the tuff. The site is crossed by the canal bridges of the imposing Augustus aqueduct of Serino» (Carlo Leggieri, Celanapoli).
Since the site is only partially open, there is a project in progress to be able to benefit from the good in a "digital" way through the production of an Immersive Virtual Tour.
The survey has developed for hundreds of meters in depth, acquiring data through laser scanners integrated with the photogrammetric survey of the individual chamber tombs and part of the aqueduct. The site develops from 0 to about -35 meters underground.
The processing of point clouds, generated with different techniques and instruments, was very effective thanks to JRC 3D Reconstructor. The advanced tools for data management and filtering allowed to perform the first data processing, producing point clouds and 3D models for a deeper and fine study of the Hypogeum site. The further data processing allowed to extract orthophotos, plants and elevations at millimeter precision, as well as to create an immersive virtual reality application.
|Fig.1_Chamber tombs: point cloud orthographic view in reflectance|
|Fig.2_Chamber tombs: 3D point cloud model with inclination value|
|Fig.3-4_Photogrammetric station and fresco orthophoto|
« The technology of Gexcel software, developed by experts in the field, is the basis of truly versatile products able to guarantee a very satisfactory processing experience »
Acas3D | Civil Engineer
NEEDS AND GOALS
- Laser scanner and photogrammetric survey for the study of the Hypogeum site.
- Creation of a topographical reference network.
- Millimeter precision of the elaborates.
- Production of immersive virtual tour.
- 2D models
- 3D models
- High-resolution orthophotos
- Plants, elevations and sections
- Immersive virtual tour
|Fig.5_Orthographic view of the external façades|
|Fig.6_3D point cloud model|
JRC 3D RECONSTRUCTOR MAIN BENEFITS
- Effectiveness of processing functions
- Management of data from different types of surveying hardware
- Alignment and filtering tools for point clouds
TECHNICAL DETAILS (*project still in progress)
- SURVEYING SYSTEM: Terrestrial laser scanner - Total station - Super High-Res reflex cameras (Nikon D850)
- PROCESSING SOFTWARE: JRC 3D Reconstructor Heritage-Architectural - Photogrammetric software - Graphic engines (Unity/Unreal)
- SURVEYING DATA*: 6.600 photograms - 460 laser scans
- PROCESSING TIME*: 1 month
Acas3D Srs | www.acas3d.com
The ACAS3D \ Hera Srl company, based in Grosseto (Italy), deals with laser scanner/photogrammetric surveys for the historical buildings and cultural heritage field.