The ancient complex "Convent and Prison of S. Domenico buildings" San Gimignano, Siena (Italy)
PDF versione italiana
KEYWORDS: Classification Mapping | JRC 3D Reconstructor | 3D Laser Scanner | Heritage | Architectural
Assignment carried out in 2016 and 2017 for the underground part, commissioned by the Public Authority of San Gimignano (Siena) to the "RTP Borromini" group, a multidisciplinary professional team composed of specialists in architecture, engineering, restoration, and archeology. The STUDIO ASSOCIATO PERIGEO was involved for the topographic and laser scanners survey. The complicated geometries detected with the 3D laser scanner, together with the accurate topographic survey, were then used for all the subsequent phases of detail analysis and output of a unique georeferenced system. Thanks to the data processing software JRC 3D Reconstructor, it was possible to collect and share 3D outputs from laser scanner scans and an in-depth evaluation of underground constructions of historical and anthropological interest.
|Fig.1_3D colored point cloud model: a global view of the complex with caves|
«Thanks to the Gexcel software, I could complete an important laser scanner survey with high accuracy and quality, very demanding for its features and dimension»
STUDIO ASSOCIATO PERIGEO | Senior Surveyor
NEEDS AND GOALS
- An integrated geometric dataset for multidisciplinary technical activity aimed at reconstructing the cognitive framework.
- Essential geometric data for subsequent conservation, recovery, and enhancement of the historical compendium.
- Accurate 3D laser scanner survey of façades, cloister, chapel and underground cavities.
- Topographic support.
- Detailed technical table
- Plans, sections, elevations, high-resolution orthophotos and photo plans
- 3D point cloud model
- 3D model flythrough movies
- Mines and tunnels 3D metric survey
|Fig.2_Hypogeal tunnels with altimetric coloring|
|Fig.3_Vertical section and orthographic view of the cave interior|
|Fig.4_3D colored model | Global view and internal detail|
JRC 3D RECONSTRUCTOR MAIN BENEFITS
- Easy management of a big dataset
- Millimeter precision of the results
- Compatibility of different laser scanners
- Fast third-party software connection
- SURVEYING SYSTEM: Laser scanner Faro Focus3D X130 - Total station Leica TS06
- SURVEYING AREA: Area: 8.700 m² approximately - Prospects: 15.000 m² approximately
- SURVEYING TIME: Topographic and laser scanner: 6 days (2 operators)
- PROCESSING SOFTWARE: JRC 3D Reconstructor - PointR3
- PROCESSING TIME: Laser models: 30 days (1 operator)
|Fig.5_Final delivery | Orthophoto inserted into the 3D point cloud|
|Fig.6_Final delivery | 3D colored models|
STUDIO ASSOCIATO PERIGEO | www.studioperigeo.it
The STUDIO ASSOCIATO PERIGEO, by Roberto Pierini and Valentina Tinti, features more than 30 years of experience in topographic, architectural, building and inventory surveys; for public associations and administrations as for individuals, businesses, or professionals in the fields of renovation and design, where it is important to create functional synergies to provide adequate metric datasets necessary for consistent and sound tasks performance.